This month we’re talking about making changes, setting goals and achieving them. What’s holding you back when it comes to reaching your goals? As the new year approaches, we’re all pumped up about the new goals we’re going to reach in 2017, and that’s great. Being excited about making positive changes is a great thing, and helps us to move toward our desires. However, it’s important to reflect on those obstacles that have prevented us from reaching goals in the past.
What’s Holding You Back?
- Permission – If you’re like most people, you want approval and that often means waiting for someone’s permission to do the thing you most want. This may be because the thing you desire is scary. Any change can be frightening, it upsets the balance in most relationships so it’s understandable that many of us seek permission to make any kind of change in our lives. The thing is, you are the only whose approval matters and you are the only one who can give yourself permission to go after your dreams. Trust your gut and go for it.
- Refusal to Ask for Help – The flip side of asking for permission is never asking for help. Most of us do that too. Many of us see asking for help as a sign of weakness, when in reality it is a wonderful show of strength. Help from those with experience can make the journey so much easier. There is no good reason to recreate the wheel, use the knowledge of others to reach your goals, and when you reach them offer your support and assistance to others.
- No Action – You know exactly what you need to do to reach your dreams. You’ve thought about them for so long you can practically taste the success. You’ve made a vision board, you meditate on your dreams, you’ve done it all except for take real action. Making lists and vision boards are great, and can be wonderfully helpful, if you actually take action. Make a plan to each day do one thing to get closer to reaching your goal. Do that and you will be well on your way to reaching your destiny.
- Never the Right Time – Ah yes, why do today what can be put off until tomorrow? There’s never a right time to reach your goal. There’s never a right time for success. Things don’t just fall into place, you have to make them happen even if sometimes that means you might have to move a mountain or two. If you wait for the right time, it will pass you by. The right time is right now.
- Comparing yourself to Others – This is your dream, it is unique to you and your circumstances and situation. It is not like anyone else’s dream so stop comparing your journey to theirs. Most people compare their beginnings with someone else’s end results. Don’t do that or you’ll never get past go. Compare yourself only to yourself. If each day you are a little closer to your goal then that is worth celebrating.